Based on the products currently available in the market, it’s clear that we now place a high premium on more—more apps, more features, more functionalities, etc. While there’s nothing wrong with wanting the best, is cramming as much as possible into every piece of technology always good? Do we really need to continuously enhance everything? To answer these questions, let’s begin by taking a close look at the best single stage snow blowers commercially available right now.
But before we do so, in case you have only now read about them, single stage snow blowers are machines that utilize only one piece of equipment, the auger, to gather and expel snow. Two stage snow blowers utilize two pieces of equipment, the auger and the impeller. The auger gathers the snow while the impeller expels it. They can move more snow than an auger, thus making two stage snow blowers more powerful than single stage snow blowers. As such, two stage snow blowers are better suited to heavy-duty work than single stage snow blowers. In fact, two stage snow blowers are usually used for clearing snow from airport runways and roads.
While it may seem that being built so is a drawback, single stage snow blowers have no need for a lot power. They are made specifically for residential use. It’s unlikely that anybody would need an awesomely powerful snow blower to clear snow from his property, so single stage snow blowers are designed to generate just enough energy for helping the user do so. The other advantages of using a single stage blower are: capability of making direct contact with the surface, which ensures thorough snow clearing; availability as compact, electric snow blowers, which are more convenient to use, as well as environment friendly, than two stage snow blowers (all two stage snow blowers are big machines that run on gas); and best bang for your buck (many of the single stage snow blowers currently available in the market are reasonably priced).
But not all single stage snow blowers are created equal. There are those that can give the user more benefits than the rest. For proof, here are 3 of the best single stage snow blowers commercially available right now that, as far as we’re concerned, are a cut above the competition:
Top Single Stage Snow Blowers
#1 Choice – Snow Joe SJ621 18-Inch 13.5-Amp Electric Snow Thrower With Headlight
Let’s begin with the Snow Joe SJ621 18-Inch 13.5-Amp Electric Snow Thrower With Headlight — one of the most powerful electric, single stage snow blowers currently available in the market. Having a 13.5 amp motor can move up to 650 pounds of snow per minute, cut a path of 18″ wide as well as 10″ deep. It also comes with a 4 steel blade rotor that is so powerful that can throw the snow up to 20 feet.
The rest of the useful features of the Snow Joe SJ621 Snow Thrower are: a 180 degrees adjustable chute and a chute deflector that lets you adjust the height of the snow stream so you have better control where the snow you move ends up; low vibration level; 20 Watt Halogen light that enables you to clear away snow from your property in low light and even in the dark and ergonomic grips that let you maneuver the machines smoothly. It is also compact so you can easily store it in your house without without taking too much space while winter’s over.
Few consumers noted some drawbacks such as its handle doesn’t feel sturdy to the touch and it might overheat after frequent and long use. Regardless, this is a great machine and since it is powered with electric cord, there will be no oily smoke and you don’t have to worry about running out of fuel in the middle. Plus, electric engine also means there will be less need and cost for regular maintenance compared to combustion engine. It has received a rating of 4 and a half stars out of 5 on Amazon; where it’s currently being sold with shipping will be free of charge.
You should buy your leaf blower on Amazon and here is why:
- All the reviews are like having hundreds of really good friends give you their personal experience with the leaf blower, then taking all of that personal experience and giving it a star rating. You’re buying quality when there are 100′s of fans of the blower.
- A friendly UPS driver will deliver it right to your door. No waiting in line, no hauling it in your car. No sore muscles or achy back the next day.
- Amazon has the best price 99% of the time. Amazon constantly watches competitor pricing and makes sure you get the best deal. They do a ton of business and take advantage of economies of scale, which means you get the savings!
- FREE shipping. Enough said.
- Returns are easy. Amazon recently shipped a car, and they ship a ton of large items, all day, every day. If they can ship a car, rest assured, you will get your leaf blower in perfect condition. BUT if for any reason it comes damaged, it is super easy to return. Just print out a UPS label, slap it on the box and a friendly UPS driver will pick it up, free of charge. This is way easier than waiting in a return line at Home Depot and talking with a bored, angsty teenage sales clerk.
- The Snow Joe electric snow thrower is incredibly easy to use and maintain
- 13.5 amp motor moves up to 650 pounds of snow per minute
- Cuts up to 18-inch wide and 10-inch deep in one pass
- Includes 20 Watt Halogen Light and 180-degree adjustable chute
- 4 steel blade rotor throws snow up to 20 feet
#2 Choice – GreenWorks 2600502 13 Amp 20″ Corded Snow Thrower
If you want a snow blower that can generate as much power as a gas snow blower but is as easy to maneuver as an electric snow blower, the GreenWorks 2600502 13 Amp 20″ Corded Snow Thrower may very well be the perfect snow blower for you. By way of its 13 amp motor, it can move a maximum of 850 lbs of snow per minute to a maximum distance of 20 ft away, as well as clear an area of snow 20″ wide and 10″ deep. But since it weighs a mere 30 lbs, as well as comes with an ergonomic handle, despite the power it can generate, handling it will be easy indeed.
The rest of the useful features of the GreenWorks 2600502 13 Amp 20″ Corded Snow Thrower are: one-touch start switch, which makes activation quick; plastic-molded steel auger, which is designed to withstand a lot of wear and tear; chute that can be easily turned 180 degrees, by pulling on the directional discharge crank, which ensures you won’t hit anybody or anything with the white stuff; and safety extension cord lock, which prevents the cord from being dragged around or caught when it’s in use; preventing an accident.
The GreenWorks 2600502 13 Amp 20″ Corded Snow Thrower outer body is made of plastic which is to be expected in this price point but still feels sturdy. Nevertheless, it has received a rating of 4.4 stars out of 5 on Amazon; where it’s currently being sold with shipping will be free of charge.
- 13 amp motor delivers powerful results for gas alternative
- Adjustable 180 degree directional chute makes snow throwing manageable
- Discharge snow up to 20-feet
#3 Choice – Yard Machines 123cc OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered 21-Inch Single-Stage Snow Thrower
Having told you that gas snow blowers are more powerful than electric snow blowers, we suggest you check out the Yard Machines 123cc OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered 21-Inch Single-Stage Snow Thrower if you want a snow blower that packs a punch.
Thanks to its 123 cc OHV 4-cycle engine and auger-assisted drive system, the Yard Machines 123cc OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered 21-Inch Single-Stage Snow Thrower can move an area of snow 21″ wide and 13″ in height. But its augers are made of a polymer that won’t cause any damage to any surface, so despite the power it can generate, it won’t mess up your property or the adjacent sidewalk.
The rest of the gas, single stage snow blower’s useful features are: quick-start switch, which makes activating it a snap; chute that can be easily rotated; and comfy, ergonomic handle. According to some consumers, it’s also easy to assemble, smooth to operate, and can be relied on to generate enough power for doing the job consistently.
Tthe Yard Machines 123cc OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered 21-Inch Single-Stage Snow Thrower is built to last for several years. However its 7″ wheels don’t make maneuvering as easy as they should, and the chute seizes on frigid days. Nonetheless, it has received a rating of 4 stars out of 5 on Amazon; where it’s currently being sold with shipping will be free of charge.
- The Yard Machines snow thrower makes quick work of driveways, sidewalks, and patios even with icy or hard packed snow
- Powered by a 123cc OHV 4-cycle gas engine
- Clear pathways up to 21 inches wide in one quick pass
- Features EZ Manual Chute Control to place cleared snow in the direction that you choose
- The 7-inch by 1 1/2-inch wheels offer traction while tackling the tough winter weather conditions
While having a product that has the works would be great, how well it can do its job is what we should really care for. If it can’t do it effectively, no amount of features can make the product useful. Given the above reviews of 3 of the best single stage snow blowers currently available in the market, we hope you won’t be blinded by the distraction as you search for the best one for you.
Do you know of other notable single stage snow blowers? Tell us all about them. We’d love to hear from you.