Lawn mowers don’t tend to bring up positive memories, unless they are associated with you ordering someone to mow your lawn. However, whether or not we love lawn mowers or hate them, they are a necessary. As long as there is grass in your yard, lawn mowers will be essential. There are many different kinds of lawn mowers, but the one of interest here are reel lawn mowers.
The progression of lawn mowers over the years has been vast and incredible. What is interesting to note, is that despite how far we have come with the improvements on these machines, the pioneering type of lawn mowers, reel lawn mowers, are still in use and sold presently. Even though these lawn mowers are the most basic form, they have still evolved and changed with time so much so that their cutting technology has improved immensely. There are different brands and types and so each brand and type comes with its own set of specifications, style and design that set it apart from others on the market.
Reel lawn mowers have many advantages to their successors. They are: light and easy to use, small and so storage is not a hassle, quiet and environmentally friendly. They are also considered better for the grass because they cut rather than tear the grass like other mowers, specifically gas-powered mowers do. The maintenance of these reel mowers is tremendously easier when compared to other types.
Just like when you are making the decision on what type of lawn mower to buy, whether reel, gas, batter operated, etc., within the reel lawn mower category there are many different types and uses that need to be considered prior to purchasing a reel lawn mower. Here are some things to consider when making your decision:
- The size of your yard is important when it comes to considering the type of reel lawn mower you are going to buy. If your yard is bigger than the average yard, then a large reel lawn mower would be ideal if not a different type of lawn mower all together.
- Reel lawn mowers can be electric or manual. There are different thoughts on which is the better one, however, it has been said that electric lawn mowers are easier to handle because the motor turns the blades and does most of the cutting work whereas the manual reel lawn mower requires a greater force of push. Also with an electric mower you get more cuts per area than you would with a manual mower because with a manual mower you have to walk faster for the blades to move faster but the electric mower already spins the blades faster.
- Knowing the type of grass you have will help guide your purchase options because some brands of reel mowers cut certain types of grass better than others. Also reel mowers come with a different number of blades. Knowing the type of grass you have will determine the amount of blades you will need.
- If your yard tends to have lots of rocks or hidden objects, a reel lawn mower may just be better for you. With mowers with motors, the blade can shatter once it hits a rock or equally hard object, whereas with a reel lawn mower blade shattering is not a possibility.
- A nice flat yard, with minimal uneven surfaces is ideal for a reel lawn mower. They work better on flat surfaces and you expend less energy when mowing.
- Choose a wider reel lawn mower. The rule of thumb is the wider the mower the more grass is cut. This, for you translates into less time in the yard.
With these tips for your consideration, choosing the best reel lawn mower for your personal use has no doubt become that much easier. However you still need to bear in mind that different brands may work better than others. Discussed here are the top three performing reel lawn mowers on the market presently. They are all from three different brands and have different specifications, but will serve your lawn mowing needs.
Top Reel Lawn Mowers for 2020
#1 Choice – Fiskars Staysharp Max Reel Mower, 18-Inch
The most expensive on our list coming in just under $200, the Fiskars Staysharp Max is a manual reel mower. It is 60% easier to push than other reel mowers due to its ground breaking patent-pending InertiaDrive and it delivers twice as much cutting power to blast through tough spots better than other mowers would. Its other features include: a cleaner cut without the hassles of gasoline, oil, battery changing, electrical cords or loud noises; cut settings from 1-4 settings; blades that extend across the full width of the mower to eliminate uncut strips under the wheels and edge closer to the foundations, fences and borders than other reel mowers; grass clippings are thrown forward away from your feet and there is a limited three year warranty.
With these features the Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower is the best reel lawn mower at this price and you will never go wrong with its purchase. Get it today and show off to your friends the great deal you received with this reel mower and brag about your beautiful lawn.
You should buy your leaf blower on Amazon and here is why:
- All the reviews are like having hundreds of really good friends give you their personal experience with the leaf blower, then taking all of that personal experience and giving it a star rating. You’re buying quality when there are 100′s of fans of the blower.
- A friendly UPS driver will deliver it right to your door. No waiting in line, no hauling it in your car. No sore muscles or achy back the next day.
- Amazon has the best price 99% of the time. Amazon constantly watches competitor pricing and makes sure you get the best deal. They do a ton of business and take advantage of economies of scale, which means you get the savings!
- FREE shipping. Enough said.
- Returns are easy. Amazon recently shipped a car, and they ship a ton of large items, all day, every day. If they can ship a car, rest assured, you will get your leaf blower in perfect condition. BUT if for any reason it comes damaged, it is super easy to return. Just print out a UPS label, slap it on the box and a friendly UPS driver will pick it up, free of charge. This is way easier than waiting in a return line at Home Depot and talking with a bored, angsty teenage sales clerk.
- Offers a cleaner cut without the hassles of gasoline, oil, battery charging, electrical cords or loud engine noise
- 60% easier to push than other reel mowers
- Delivers twice the cutting power to blast through twigs, weeds and tough spots that would jam other reel mowers
- Technology offers cut height settings from 1–4 Inch to provide best-in-class cutting
- Inset wheel design allows the blades to extend across the full width of the mower to eliminate uncut strips under the wheels and edge closer to foundations, fences and borders than other reel mowers
- Unique grass discharge chute throws clippings forward cleanly, away from your feet
- Cuts all grass types, even tough southern varieties like St. Augustine, Zoysia, Bahia and Bermuda
- 18 Inch cut width
- Limited three-year warranty
#2 Choice – Great States 415-16 16-Inch Standard Full Feature Push Reel Lawn Mower With T-Style Handle And Heat Treated Blades
American Lawn Mower is the largest producer of reel lawn mowers operating in the United States and they manufacture Great States mowers. They have built a great tradition of mowers and have not strayed since their inception. They have improved on their design and functionality with each successive model so much so that the mowers of today are a great choice for young and old alike.
The Great States 415-16 16-Inch Standard Full feature Push Reel is sleek in its design and has snazzy features. As its name states, its sixteen inch cutting width is unparalleled and its height adjusts easily from ½ inch to 2 ¾ inch. This mower also has a powder coated finish handle that lasts longer and prevents rust and the blades will stay sharp longer and provide a more quality cut due to their heat treatment.
American Lawn Mowers, cleverly states that you can fuel this reel mower for the price of a banana and a glass of milk, and it does not leave a negative footprint on the environment apart from a couple of footprints on your beautifully mowed lawn. They have spent years perfecting their craft and your purchase of this reel mower will not let you down. The Great States 415-16 16-Inch Standard Full Feature Push Reel Lawn Mower With T-Style Handle And Heat Treated Blades is lightweight, easy to manoeuvre and ideal for your personal use or even as a gift for someone who you know would appreciate it.
- 16-inch cutting width
- 10-inch ball bearing wheels
- Easy height adjust from 1/2-inch to 2-3/4-inch
- Powder coated finished handle lasts longer and prevents rust
- Heat treated blades stay sharp longer, making a quality cut
#3 Choice – American Lawn Mower 1204-14 14-Inch Deluxe Hand Reel Mower
The most affordable on our list, this mower was manufactured by the same company that makes Great States Reel Mowers and the company shares its name with the mower. Knowing the type of grass in your yard can really come in handy because when it comes to reel mowers, some mowers cut certain types of grass better and more precisely than others. This mower for example, while it cuts all types of grass, it does exceptionally well with cool season grasses such as: bluegrass, fescue and rye. It cuts with a width of fourteen inches and boasts a cutting height of ½ to 1 ½ inches. American lawn mower, always thinking of its customers during the design process, has included in this model plastic grips on its zinc plated handle for greater comfort.
This mower is: a great option for small areas, easily assembled, and light enough for children as young as ten years of age to use. It, however is not very effective with extremely long blades of grass, so you will have to stay on top of your mowing, but it is a good choice for the money and it is great with cutting through twigs and branches once you get some momentum going.
This American Lawn Mower 1204-14 14-Inch Deluxe Hand Reel Mower is the best reel lawn mower if you are looking for something lightweight, easy to assemble and use for a small surface area. It is affordable and works well for its purpose.
- Deluxe hand-reel mower ideal for most turf grasses
- Provides a clean, precise, scissor-like cut
- Includes alloy steel construction; assembly required
- 8-1/2-inch diameter high impact, polymer wheels; 3-spider 1-blade reel; adjustable roller
- 1/2- to 1-1/2-inch cutting height; 14-inch cutting width; 19 pounds in weight; limited 90-day warranty