Fed up with your noisy, smelly, dirty, gas guzzling old mower? If your lawn isn’t the size of the Yankee Stadium, then an electric mower may just be the answer. And I haven’t even mentioned maneuverability or weight yet either.
Electric mowers had a poor reputation – some would say fairly, others would disagree, that when it came to really doing a good job on your lawn, they couldn’t cut it. Or they could for a while then they’d get clogged up with wet grass; or you’d run over the cord; or even if you didn’t cut the cord, you couldn’t do the patch by the shed because the damn cord wouldn’t stretch that far.
I’m here to tell you that those days are at an end. Well, if you read on and take my advice about which electric mower to choose they are.
Now, I’m not saying that gas mowers are a bad thing. But, I am, as I am sure anyone who has spent an hour trying to change the spark plugs, and a further delightful one with the fuel filters and oil, very aware that they do have shortcomings.
Just being able to pick it up, plug it in and mow is fantastic, and for the elderly or those with mobility problems, the lightness, maneuverability, and general ease of use, are attributes very hard to ignore.
Of course they have their limitations – modern designs have gone a long way to all but eliminate the majority but there are still some things you need to consider before going down the electric route for the first time.
Electric mowers come in two types – corded and cordless. Both have their obvious pros and cons. Non corded means you aren’t literally tied to the house or socket, but you have limited time to get that lawn cut. I’m only going to concern myself with corded at this moment in time and present you the best electric lawn mowers.
I can’t talk about electric mowers without mentioning that word that scares many a good man and woman from this method – electrocution. Obviously like with everything you plug into the mains, you need to be sensible, but there is certainly no need to be scared off by it. If it does concern you, buy a circuit breaker. I’ve cut the cord (by accident) while connected to a circuit breaker and there was absolutely nothing to worry about at all.
At the end of the day, should it be any more of a concern than having 5 gallons of gas sat in a barrel in your garage?
Top Electric Lawn Mowers for 2020
#1 Choice – GreenWorks 25022 12 Amp Corded 20-Inch Lawn Mower
There are three features that make the GreenWorks 25022 stand above the vast majority of its rivals of the best electric lawn mowers. First of all, it is made of metal, not the ubiquitous plastic that seems to be the go to material for electric mowers.
What does that mean I hear you ask? Well, in a nutshell, the metal is a lot thinner than the plastic would have to be, and there is a lot less of it. Compare the way this looks to a plastic mower, and its half the size in terms of the casing above and around the blade, and motor. This not only means it is comparable in weight, but it is a lot easier to use the mower in those tricky to reach areas. It really does squeeze into some tight corners, meaning you are less likely to have to come back with those hand shears or trimmers.
The second feature that won me over is the 20” steel blade. Most of the mowers on the market are 18” or less, (though I see that several have recently followed suit and added a 20 incher to their range) and don’t let anyone tell you that that extra 2 inches doesn’t make a world of difference. Anything that means I have to do less sweeps of the lawn is a good thing in my book, and I imagine the vast majority of you are with me.
The final feature is the rear wheels. Look at the size of them. I’ve driven automobiles with smaller wheels. They make maneuvering, turning and pushing this baby so, so much easier.
So, those are the three things that set this apart, but it doesn’t stop there. It is as if the technical bods from GreenWorks got into my mind and listed all the things that have annoyed me about my previous mowers, and designed one to get around them all.
This comes with a pig-tail cord, which makes it a lot easier to put away. The height control is one of the most solid ones I’ve seen, and takes seconds. The 25022 gives you the option of side discharge, mulching or rear bagging so all bases are covered when it comes to those clippings.
One accusation often thrown in the way of electric mowers is that when it comes to thick grass, particularly thick damp grass, they just can’t cut it….
Now, you shouldn’t cut grass (whatever mower you use) when it is wet, but sometimes morning dew can’t be avoided. My lawn has some of the thickest and if you are a purest, nastiest grass in any of the 50 states, and the 12 amp motor on this baby cut through it with no problem at all.
If you are considering electric for the first time, or are a die-hard electric mower fan already, you are going to be extremely hard pushed to find anything close to this out there.
You should buy your leaf blower on Amazon and here is why:
- All the reviews are like having hundreds of really good friends give you their personal experience with the leaf blower, then taking all of that personal experience and giving it a star rating. You’re buying quality when there are 100′s of fans of the blower.
- A friendly UPS driver will deliver it right to your door. No waiting in line, no hauling it in your car. No sore muscles or achy back the next day.
- Amazon has the best price 99% of the time. Amazon constantly watches competitor pricing and makes sure you get the best deal. They do a ton of business and take advantage of economies of scale, which means you get the savings!
- FREE shipping. Enough said.
- Returns are easy. Amazon recently shipped a car, and they ship a ton of large items, all day, every day. If they can ship a car, rest assured, you will get your leaf blower in perfect condition. BUT if for any reason it comes damaged, it is super easy to return. Just print out a UPS label, slap it on the box and a friendly UPS driver will pick it up, free of charge. This is way easier than waiting in a return line at Home Depot and talking with a bored, angsty teenage sales clerk.
- 12 Amp Electric Motor delivers enough power to cut through the toughest grass
- Durable steel 20-Inch cutting deck gets the job done quicker and more efficiently
- 3-in-1 feature provides multiple options for grass clippings from rear bagging, side discharge and mulching capabilities for versatile needs
- 7 position height adjustment offers a range of cutting height from 1 1/2-Inch to 3 3/4-Inch for the perfect cut on all grass types
- Wide 10-Inch rear wheels and 7-Inch front wheels
#2 Choice – GreenWorks 25142 10 Amp Corded 16-Inch Lawn Mower
The smaller brother of the 25022, this mower is still a mighty fine grass cutter. Its slightly less powerful motor and smaller blade mean that it is designed for those with a smaller yard or garden. At 37.5 lbs it is a lot lighter than, which means maneuverability-wise this really can’t be beat, even without the larger rear wheel. I was initially disappointed by the lack of this, but having used it, its reduced size and weight means it really isn’t an issue.
It doesn’t have the side discharge option but the rear bag is just as efficient for those who like to collect their cuttings. Having been constantly frustrated by the height adjustments on the vast majority of mowers over the years I was overjoyed to use the one on the 25022. Try to imagine my joy when I came across this baby. OK that might be overstating it, but the height adjustment on this really does belong on a mower priced way way higher than this. It is a fantastic gear shift mechanism, that locks smoothly into each of the 5 different positions. Bliss.
Despite being very small and very light, this mower in no way feels flimsy. It is very well built and has a solid sturdy feel about it. But because it is small, it stores away to practically nothing.
Convenience-wise it really is superb. From being delivered, you can be mowing within 5 minutes, and when you’re done, cleaning is easy, as is folding and stowing so you can sit back, open a can of your favorite brew and sit back and admire your handiwork. Gas snobs would still be rooting around in their toolbox trying to find something to ease out that stubborn spark plug.
- 10 Amp Electric Motor delivers enough power to cut through touch grass
- Durable 16-Inch cutting deck gets the job done quicker and more efficiently
- 2-in-1 feature provides mulching and rear discharge capabilities
- 5 position height adjustment offers a range of cutting height from 5/8-Inch to 2-5/8-Inch for the perfect cut on all types of grass
- 7-Inch rear wheel and 6-Inch front wheels
#3 Choice – Sun Joe MJ401E Mow Joe 14-Inch 12 Amp Electric Lawn Mower With Grass Catcher
Another best electric lawn mowers is the Sun Joe MJ401E. First of all, this Sun Joe, looks like a toy. Secondly I should point out for legal reasons, this certainly isn’t a toy!
Even odder, this mower even feels like a toy, and I mean that in a good way, honestly I do. I did my folks’ lawn with this, not a part of the parent son relationship I particularly look forward to I have to admit, but for the first time I can remember, I actually found myself having fun. The Mow Joe (it even sounds like a toy!) is so small, and light, you can fairly rip through that lawn. It really is prefect for those harder to reach areas, or tight curves.
My parents’ house has a winding grass path that has been the bane of me or whichever of my brothers is on lawn duty since they moved there. Two minutes flat this did it in. The 14” blade isn’t the biggest, but it is backed up with a powerful motor, so combined with its ability to get into every nook and cranny, it actually took me a lot less time to complete the job with this baby than with their considerably larger machine. I was able to do it in one go, without having to return with various implements to get what I’d missed.
I really didn’t mean to sound derogatory when I compared this to a toy. It feels solid, and the steel blade and solid catching bag give the impression of a much more expensive machine.
I admit, cutting your front lawn with this probably isn’t going to increase you manly reputation in the neighborhood, but this is so quiet, you can get out there and finish the job and no one will even notice until they see your perfectly manicured grass smiling back at them.
- The Sun Joe Mow Joe uses a powerful, 12 amp, electric motor to quickly and efficiently mow your lawn
- Easy push button start; no messy oils or gasoline
- Three-position height adjustment up to 2-2/5 inches
- Compact design is easy to maneuver and takes up less storage space
- Hard-top grass catcher detaches easily for convenient disposal