What makes a leaf blower one of the best leaf blowers currently available in the market? Is it design? Is it effectiveness? Is it variety of features? If a customer were asked these questions while choosing the leaf blower most suitable to him, it’s likely he’d feel overwhelmed. Unless you’re an expert on leaf blowers, you might find it difficult to evaluate all of these tools, given they have several characteristics to factor in such an evaluation. But all of their characteristics must be considered in successfully picking out the best one for you. To make doing so easier, here are 4 leaf blowers we find exceptional:
The Top Ten Leaf Blowers of 2014
These are our top 10 leaf blower picks for 2014. They range in style and cost.
|Toro 51619 Ultra Blower/Vac||4.5||$||8.5lb||Corded|
|BLACK+DECKER LSW321 20V Max Lithium POWERCOMMAND Power Boost Sweeper||4.1||$||3.7lb||Battery|
|Hitachi Gas Powered Blower||4.3||$$||8.6lb||Gas|
|Husqvarna 350BT Back Pack Blower||4.5||$$$||22.5lb||Backpack|
|Toro 51585 Power Sweep 7 Amp 2-Speed Electric Blower||4.6||$||4.6lb||Corded|
|Toro 51618 Super Leaf Blower Vac, 210 mph||4.5||$||7.4lb||Corded|
|Black & Decker BV5600 High Performance Blower/Vac/Mulcher||4.5||$||9.9lb||Corded|
|Makita BBX7600N 75.6 CC 4-Stroke Backpack Blower||4.9||$$$$||15lb||Backpack|
|Makita DUB182Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Blower (Bare Tool Only)||4.2||$||3lb||Battery|
|Tanaka Commercial Grade 25cc 1.3 HP Two-Stroke Gas Powered Handheld Blower With Cruise Control (CARB Compliant) THB-260PF||4.4||$$||13lb||Gas|
Best Leaf Blower Under $100 Choice – Toro Ultra Blower/Vac
Allow us to begin reviewing the leaf blowers with one of the best commercial leaf blowers below 100, the Toro 51619 Ultra 12 amp Variable-Speed (up to 250) Electric Blower/Vacuum with Metal Impeller. Indeed, currently being sold through Amazon, this electric leaf blower is several dollars less costly than more than a few home appliances you have. But being so doesn’t make the electric leaf blower inferior to the pricier leaf blowers currently available in the market. Indeed, the former comes with several useful features we believe enable it to go toe to toe with even the best electric leaf blowers at present.
To begin with: the Toro 51619 Ultra 12 amp Variable-Speed (up to 250) Electric Blower/Vacuum with Metal Impeller weighs a mere 8.5 lbs, making this electric leaf blower lighter than most of the other electric leaf blowers currently available in the market, assuring you the former would indeed be easy to carry and move around and use.
As a 3-in-1 lawn and garden maintenance tool, the electric leaf blower comes with other features that together enable you to easily keep your yard as beautiful as possible. These features are: variable speed 12 amp motor, concentrator nozzles, ‘power insert’, ‘concentrator inserts’, and main tube. The variable speed 12 amp motor can blow out air to maximum of 250 mph, and enabling you to set the electric leaf blower to a low speed in order to clear hard surfaces and clean up tight areas while avoiding making an even bigger mess and rendering the tool itself ineffective. The motor can also maintain a maximum air volume of 410 cfm, enabling you to easily move a substantial volume of debris around or out of your lawn or garden. The air concentrator nozzles allow you to adjust the air volume, enabling you to use the electric leaf blower itself with precision. The power insert enables you to move debris into ‘wind rows’, which makes for creating piles easily. The concentrator insert enables you to move debris out of cracks and edging, which makes the electric leaf blower truly effective. The main tube would be most effective in moving debris away from your yard.
The rest of the features of the electric leaf blower are: quick-release latch that enables you to easily convert the electric leaf blower into a handy vacuum; metal impeller, which not only enables you to use the tool to mulch debris, but also ensures the tool itself can last for several years; and hook for convenient storage of the tool’s electrical cord.
A customer says the Toro 51619 Ultra 12 Amp Variable-Speed Electric Blower/Vacuum with Metal Impeller’s only imperfection is it looks and feels like a toy. Generally, however, several customers were happy with their models. Moreover, the electric leaf blower received a rating of 4 and a half stars out of 5 on Amazon.
You should buy your leaf blower on Amazon and here is why:
You should buy your leaf blower on Amazon and here is why:
- New larger metal impeller drives power and improved mulching
- Powerful up to 250 mph degree
- Vacuum tube, bottom-zip bag, power insert, concentrator nozzle and cord storage hook included; Extension cord not included
- Variable speed control for better control in both blower and vac mode
- Top rated air horse power degree degree for comparison purposes only; Performance claims based on
- controlled laboratory testing
Best Cordless Leaf Blower Choice – Black and Decker Cordless Sweeper
If you’d like to have a truly handy leaf blower, we suggest you check out the Black and Decker LSW321 20-Volt Max Lithium Power Command Power Boost Sweeper (includes 20v battery)—one of the best cordless electric leaf blowers currently available in the market.
As the Black and Decker LSW321 20-Volt Lithium Power Command Cordless Sweeper (includes 20v battery) comes with its own convenient power source, Black & Decker’s 20-volt MAX lithium battery, the electric leaf blower no longer has an extension cord that could limit your reach. If you’d worry that these batteries can last for only a short period of time, don’t, for Black & Decker makes sure all of its batteries have longer life spans than most of the other batteries available commercially and that they last 25 minutes after having been charged. If you’d worry that the tool itself wouldn’t really be easy to carry and move around and use, don’t, for it weighs a mere 3.7 lbs, making it the lightest electric leaf blower on this list and lighter than most of the electric leaf blowers currently available in the market—even the best leaf blowers out there.
The rest of the features of the electric leaf blower are: built-in scraper that enables the tool to easily loosen and lift away stubborn debris like wet leaves, making the tool itself truly effective; LSW321 20V MAX POWERBOOST Cordless Sweeper; LBXR2020 20V MAX Lithium Ion Extended Runtime Battery; Charger; Blow Tube; snap-in tube; and fume- and noise-free operation, which makes using the tool even more enjoyable.
But if you’re looking for a heavy-duty electric leaf blower, you should think carefully about purchasing the Black and Decker LSW321 20-Volt Lithium Cordless Sweeper for yourself. A customer says this electric leaf blower isn’t as powerful as he’d hoped.
Nevertheless, the electric leaf blower received a rating of 4.1 stars out of 5 on Amazon, which is being sold below hundred dollars, making this not only the best for cordless leaf blower but also the best leaf blower for your budget.
- 130 MPH sweeper easily clears debris from hard surfaces
- Low noise design allows for quiet operation
- Up to 25 minutes of runtime allows you to complete a variety of tasks
- POWERBOOST increases power to clear stubborn debris
- Part of the 20V MAX System; 1 System – Endless Tasks. Power for your Style
- Part of the POWERCOMMAND Family of tools – EASYFEED, POWERCUT, POWERBOOST – helps solve
- common user frustrations when using Outdoor Power Equipment.
Best Gas Leaf Blower – Hitachi Gas Powered Handheld Blower
If you have your heart set on buying a heavy-duty electric leaf blower, you should take a close look at the Hitachi RB24EAP 23.9cc 2 Stroke 170 MPH Gas Powered Handheld Blower (CARB Compliant)—one of the best gas-powered leaf blowers currently available in the market. Indeed, it comes with a 23.9 cc (1.13-horsepower), 2-stroke commercial-grade engine that can blow air at a maximum speed of 170 mph and up to a maximum volume of 441 cubic feet per minute. As if the engine’s power isn’t enough, the nozzle of the blower itself is tapered, concentrating the air flow, increasing the power of the leaf blower itself even more enough.
The rest of the features of the Hitachi RB24EAP 23.9cc 2 Stroke 170 MPH Gas Powered Handheld Blower (CARB Compliant) are: PureFire low-emission, 2-stroke technology, which makes the leaf blower environment friendly; large, 2-finger throttle lever and auto-return stop switch, which makes using the leaf blower itself even more easier; and that being a mere 8.6 lbs in weight, which makes carrying around the leaf blower truly easy and enjoyable.
Based on what some customers have to say about the Hitachi RB24EAP 23.9cc 2 Stroke 170 MPH Gas Powered Handheld Blower (CARB Compliant), this gas-powered, hand-held leaf blower is truly effective. They are satisfied with their models and haven’t yet experienced any problems. Moreover, the leaf blower received a rating of 4 and a half stars out of 5 on Amazon.
- The blower features a 23-9/10cc commercial-grade, two-stroke engine for excellent performance and reliability
- Class-leading air volume at 441 CFM allows for quick clean-up
- Lightweight at only 8-3/5 pounds; well-balanced for comfortable use and reduced fatigue
- Auto-return stop switch resets the blower to the on position for hassle-free starts
- Backed by a seven-year consumer-use warranty
Best Backpack Leaf Blower – Husqvarna 350BT Back Pack Blower
Another leaf blower that we find quite handy is the Husqvarna 350BT 50.2cc 2-Cycle X-Torq Gas Powered 180 MPH Midsize Back Pack Blower (CARB Compliant)—one of the best backpack leaf blowers currently available in the market. As its name implies, the gas-powered leaf blower is designed to be carried around by strapping it onto one’s shoulder like a backpack, making it truly easy to carry and move around and use.
But be careful with the Husqvarna 350BT 50.2cc 2-Cycle X-Torq Gas Powered 180 MPH Midsize Back Pack Blower (CARB Compliant), because it’s quite powerful. This gas-powered leaf blower comes with 2.1-horsepower engine that can generate power up to a maximum of 7,500 RPM, making the leaf blower the most powerful leaf blower on this list. As if the engine’s power wasn’t enough, the engine itself is designed with Husqvarna’s patented 2-stroke X-Torq engine technology, which enables the engine to generate even more power. Apart from undeniably being a remarkable powerhouse, the engine generates better fuel economy (20% less fuel consumption) and emits less gas (60% less emissions) than most of other leaf blowers currently available in the market.
The rest of the features of the gas-powered leaf blower are: integrated, ventilated harness, which makes carrying and moving around the tool even more easier; ergonomic controls; 42.27 oz gas tank; easily adjustable, soft-grip handle; and air-purge function that removes air from the carburetor and fuel system, which makes starting the leaf blower a cinch.
Although the gas-powered leaf blower seems quite useful already, some customers have pointed out how it could be improved. The harness could be made even more secure and comfortable, the blower tube sections could be made even tighter, and starting the leaf blower could be made even easier, according to them.
The Husqvarna 350BT 50.2cc 2-Cycle X-Torq Gas Powered 180 MPH Midsize Back Pack Blower (CARB Compliant), however, received a rating of 4 and a half stars out of 5 on Amazon.
- Lightweight blower with integrated back pack harness for landscape professionals as well as homeowners
- 2.1 HP X-Torq engine reduces harmful exhaust emissions and increase fuel efficiency
- Comfortable, ventilated and load-reducing harness with hip belt and wide shoulder straps
- Fan speed can be set for easier handling; air purge removes air from carburetor and fuel system for easy starting
- CARB Compliant, 692.17 cfm
- Purchase this Husqvarna handheld item along with 3-32 ounce cans of Husqvarna pre-mix fuel, register your product online, and your consumer warranty will be extended from 2 years to 4 years
What to Look for in Leaf Blowers
Although all of the leaf blowers above are undeniably useful, it’s possible you’d like to check out even more leaf blowers. Feel free to take as much time as you’d like on finding the most suitable leaf blower to you. But know that the variety of leaf blowers currently available in the market is much larger than you could ever imagine. To help you avoid feeling overwhelmed by the sheer number of choices and unwittingly settle on a mediocre or substandard leaf blower, here is a list of what to look for in leaf blowers in order to assure yourself that you’d indeed find the best one:
- Brand reliability. Unless you’re an expert on leaf blowers, it’s likely you know little about these lawn and garden maintenance tools and how to best assess the technical merits of each. A way of finding out whether a leaf blower would be suitable to you without having to analyze each of its parts is by making sure that its brand is reliable. If the brand is well known and has been in business for several years, rest assured that the leaf blowers it makes—including the model in which you’d be interested—would be high-quality. Nobody in his right mind would promote an unreliable brand.
- Well-balanced and comfortable to use. No matter how powerful a leaf blower is, it would be useless if it’s neither well-balanced nor easy to use. Nobody would like to use such a leaf blower.
- Can generate sufficient airflow. On the other hand, no matter how handy a leaf blower is, it would be useless if it can’t generate sufficient airflow. A leaf blower that can’t generate sufficient airflow can’t loosen and blow around or away debris easily either. If the leaf blower you’d like comes with an engine that can blow air at speeds beyond more than 90 mph, it will be more than enough.
- Can truly loosen and blow around or away debris. No matter how powerful the leaf blower you’d like is, it couldn’t work effectively if its tubes aren’t designed to concentrate the air it blows out. To be sure, concentrated air blows at high speed, making it powerful. Such air can truly loosen and blow around or away debris. To be able to concentrate air, the main tube of a leaf blower must be designed in a special way. For example: A tapered main tube can concentrate air.
- Comes with a variable-speed trigger. A variable-speed trigger provides several speed settings, enabling the power generated by a leaf blower to be matched to the job at hand. For example: In order to loosen and blow away debris stuck in the recesses in walls, a leaf blower has to generate airflow at high speed. Such control enables you to use the leaf blower you’d like with precision.
- Emits low noise levels. In order to avoid becoming a neighborhood nuisance, find out what noise restrictions there are. An acceptable noise level for, say, a suburban landscaper is 65 dB from 50 ft away.
Having reviewed 4 of the best leaf blowers currently available in the market, as well as given the list of what to look for in leaf blowers, we trust there’d be little doubt left within your mind that a lot should be considered when looking for a leaf blower in order to find the best one for you. As difficult as doing so may be, you should, unless you wouldn’t mind spending your hard-earned cash on a mediocre or substandard lawn and garden maintenance tool.